I have been getting many comments on why we (as in Nate and I, not Solee) have chosen to be Vegans for a month. My Mom and Dad were turned onto 2 books while they were on their mission- "The China Study" and ''Original Fast Foods". This China Study is just that, a study done in China that examines the effects of Animal products on our body. I have to say, the results are a little disturbing (yet I don't plan on being Vegan forever). Original Fast Foods is one families story of health and trials and how being Vegan has changed their life. It also has studies and qoutes from Doctors etc. This book has all the great recipes. My Mom invited me to a Vegan Dinner Party where this family came to speak to a group of us. I went with an open mind (I have always been into "natural alternative medicine" so I was eager to hear them out). Well , the food spoke for itself. It was all so delicious, the way it was prepared, I was sold. Also, the testimonies they had from people were astounding, I thought "Why not?". So I came home and talked to Nate about my glorious vegan night. He was a little amazed too. We both agreed that although we eat pretty healthy, we could definitely use a wake up call in some areas. So we decided that we would be devoted vegans for a month, as an adventure. We were excited to see what being as healthy as we can be, 100%, felt like. And? It feels pretty great! Nate swears by it. Says he's never felt better (he was a carnivore, and diary lover). It was a really big change for him, so he is really feeling the effects of it. For me, it's not that big of a change in diet, so the effects are slower coming, but I do feel pretty good. I did it to get more energy, and Nate did it to feel better/lose weight. Nate has lost 10 lbs, and I have lost ZERO. Not fair, I know. Solee has been enjoying the different meals, and still has her sipee filled with whole milk. She also loves chocolate almond milk, sprouts and tofu. Solee is not vegan cause she is still a growing girl and I don't want to mess with that. But she eats all the healthy things we do, so I feel pretty good about it.
FAQ's I get asked
How do you get your protein? Vegetables and Whole grains, beans & rice have plenty of protein. You don't need oodles of protein. When you eat too much protein, your body starts to use your calcium to diffuse the acids that protein makes, therefore using up your calcium stash (this is true).
How do you get your calcium? Again, Dark Leafy greens are packed with calcium. if you are not overdoing your protein intake, your body keeps the calcium it has, so you don't have to eat SO much calcium.
What do you eat? Fruits, Veggies, Nuts, Whole Grains, etc. So far, I have yet to eat at a restaurant where I couldn't find anything to eat. I have even made vegan chocolate cake with tofu "cream cheese" frosting!
So there you have it. My novel of a story of WHY we decided to be vegans for a month. There is SO much more I have to say, but I don't want to bore those that don't care. So if you want to know more just comment and I'll email you. Tomorrow I will post my recipe for Thai Noodles. It will make you salivate just reading it. So good!
Breakfast Smoothie
1/2 to 1 lb Spinach or other leafy green of choice
3 cups juice (organic, of your choice)
1 to 3 fruits of choice
This is very high in nutrients and easy for your body to digest.
Note: Remember when you eat: THE MORE RAW, THE MORE NUTRIENTS.
9 comments:
I have to admit the spinach in that breakfast smoothie is throwing me off. But I am interested...maybe I'll start with the Thai Noodles. That sounds yummy!
meri, well done. i'll admit that i checked your blog last night late, and this morning early, to see if you had posted a bit more about the vegan journey and "what to my wondering eyes!!!" well done indeed. keep it coming!
Okay, I am Megan Romo's younger sister Whitney. I stalked your blog by way of Ashley Fillmore who is friends with Buffy who is my husband's cousin. ANYWAYS- I am uber inspiried by your diet change. I am in the phase where I am excited to get back to my old self after I have my baby in June. I am all for a Vegan diet.
There is a book you should check out, "In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto" by Michael Pollan. Lots of great info about veggie eating.
Good luck with your new adventure!
Thanks for the information. I didn't know all that about vegeness ways.
I'm glad its going well keep posting on it.
You go girl
I like the info, Meri! Post more! :) Pictures of your meals would be great to see!
If classified, I would currently be an ovo-lacto vegetarian, but whatever. It started as an experiment for me--a "humm, I wonder if I could do without meat altogether," and now I'm hooked. I do eat the eggs and milk that you're going without (I would be a slacker on getting my protein without whey shakes and eggs), but meat and seafood free has been fab for me. I'm glad you're enjoying the journey so far. And I love that you're talking about the experience on your blog. It's something I too have been curious about.
I highly recommend Vegetarian Times magazine if you don't already have it. Many of their recipes are classified Vegan so you don't have to discern that yourself from the ingredients. I always get excited when mine comes in the mail, and I don't even cook!
great ideas!! You are inspiring in more ways than one my dear!
Post some more recipes!
Post a Comment