9.12.2007

Solee and the swimming lessons

My baby girl has been known for her water loving antics. She is always being called a fish when she is in the water, not just by me, but by complete strangers. She once had majority of the guest's (at the Bellagio Pool in Las Vegas) attention as she splashed, dunked and smiled her way into their hearts. So I thought, survival swim lessons? No problem, she will rock them like a champ. Also very necessary since the child has been in the water or on the boat since she was 4 weeks old.
So we started swim lessons last week, and much to my surprise, SOLEE HATES IT. My fun loving, east going baby, screams bloody murder the whole time. She screams so much, sometimes she throws up. Am I not the worst mom in the world? No, cause I think that her screaming now is better than her falling in the pound in our front yard, and not knowing what to do (not that I would just let her ho do that, but Moms always have the worst scenario in the back of their minds).
So today, (during week two of sheer hell for Solee) I got in the water with her and the teacher. She was fine, yea. She cried just a wimper when she had to turn over by herself in the pool, but other than that, she was great. So today, there was a glimmer of hope that my happy baby will remain happy in the water with the teacher, and not me. She is a stubborn child, so I don't doubt that she is just ticked off and is "*&%^ bent" on letting me know that. Also, I wouldn't want some complete stranger dunking me under that water, over and over and over and over again. Can you blame her?
Here is some documentation of Solee's survival swim lessons:

This is Solee before she realizes that it is her turn..

This is her getting ready to swim..

Floating on her back, mad as (you know what)...

And having a moment to regain her composure..
This is the part of being a Mom that is really hard. This and shots, dentists, first days of school, injuries........

6 comments:

Megan Andrea said...

oh meri!!! i once had a friend who did these lessons and i went to watch once and it was the saddest thing i had ever seen. you are brave but i think they are totally worth it!!! she is getting so big and i miss you!

Lula. said...

i love her chunky legs. she is darling.

Meghan said...

:( Oh, poor mom and baby! I don't blame you for putting her in them though. It will give you some peace of mind. Check out this link I got sent to me yesterday... I almost cried watching it!

http://www.childdrowningprevention.com/index.html

According to the site though, there isn't one of these instructors in Utah. Oh well... good thing I don't have a pool!

Lindsay said...

I'm so sad I didn't make it on Sunday. I actually was feeling really sick so I didn't go into work either. I do want to hang out tough. Solee is getting so big. You have to check out your friends swimming website that she posted. I looked at it and its crazy.

Jen Bird said...

I keep wondering about having Paityn take these lessons, but I'm not sure I can watch it happen. Although, it would be SO good for her. That's the hard part of being a mom. :-( She is looking so much older lately. She's so stink'n cute, I just love her!

Unknown said...

You are so sweet with all your comments on my blog. I guess we are the only crazy ones up at all hours checking out the posts. Your little Solee is so cute with her swimming lessons. It's funny cause all the kids about her age in our swimming lessons were the same way when their parents said the previous year, they were fearless. It must be that age when they finally realize danger. Tell Nate hello for us and I can't wait for Solee and Wyatt's first date.