4.08.2008

Morphine? Dentist? Giant Cave Man Club?


I think I need all three to use on my child.
Thursday Night: Up 'till midnight watching Marry Poppins.
Friday Night: Woke up twice, went back down after a drink each time.
Saturday Night: Up from 1am-5am Watching Marry Poppins and crying (her not me).
Sunday Night: Woke up once, luckily went back down.
Last Night: Woke up at 3:30 am, thought she'd go back to sleep, wrestled with her, she screamed, rocked her 'till 6 am.
This has been the pattern for the last 3 or so weeks, all because some STUPID, FREAKING TEETH DECIDED TO TAKE THEIR STUPID, DEAR SWEET, FREAKING TIME coming out.
Seriously, I am miserable. Jacked up sleep is just the beginning. What do I do? I need some advice. Is it because she's teething? Or is it the 2 year old devil that I hear about, making herself known? Please say teeth, I swear, even the Devil has to sleep right? That fact that she has a big girl bed and can get out of it and bang on the door and take her clothes off, doesn't make things any better. Naps are getting harder too. Well, it was hard yesterday.
Do I let her get up and watch cartoons when she can't sleep? Or do you think she'll come to expect that and it will turn into a nasty habit? Moms far and wide, please help me. I am an 8 hour a night girl, and I can't run on 5 hours anymore.

(p.s. I changed my screen name from all of us, to just me. Solee and Nate never post, so why are their names on there?)

9 comments:

Galo Fab 5 said...

I don't know what to tell you! Lucas wakes up every night at least once. He screams like he's being beat and he's not even teething! And he will scream for hours. So no advice here. I've got 2 keeping me up at night. The other night we had all 3 up and crying. Glad to know someone else isn't getting any sleep. Good luck!

Meghan said...

Ugh... sounds like Scarlett lately with her teeth. I would say no on the cartoons in the middle of the night. That kind of makes waking up at night fun for her. But the fact that she's in a big girl bed makes it difficult especially with her being a little too young to negotiate with. :( Maybe just lay on the floor by her in bed and wait for her to go back to sleep... That's what Steve and I did for a while with Kanyon when he wouldn't stay put. That way, you're at least still enforcing sleep at nighttime. I'm so sorry.. :( Lack of sleep is the worst!

Anonymous said...

Three words. Hyland's Teething Tablets. All natural, baby. Buy a wheelbarrel full.

Don't make the midnight video a ritual. Try to keep your kid in bed and sing and tell silly spur of the moment stories until they fall asleep. That's what works here, at least.

nancy said...

I am so sorry, that is no fun! Teeth are the worst, but it may be a mix of the fun great age of 2.
Kids are smart it doesnt take to long for them to catch on to things. So I would go with the others on the no t.v. but some times you need it more then her, so if you need it do it.
Good luck!

Kass Martin said...

I have been going through the same hardship. Bridget's molars are coming in and I can't wait for "old Bridget" to come back. it's been awful and I'm ready to pull my hair out everyday. I am just giving Tylenol when I can and trying to give extra love BUT I can trap her in her crib. That's a lovely thing. For Dayne...I made a sleeping chart with a reward for the nights he sleeps in his bed. I say sleep not slept in his bed b/c we still whip out a nighttime chart when he gets out of routine (sick, couging, scared...nights that lead him into our bed) I try to avoid the TV as a soother b/c I'm afraid of ALWAYS having to do it but you gotta to what works to keep that sanity. I also set an alarm clock for Dayne. he wasn't allowed to get out of his room until the alarm clock went off. Sometimes he would sleep in and I would sneak in and change the time or turn it off but I think that it was a good tool for him at least. It allowed him to know when to get out and allowed me some much needed shut eye. Good luck. It's so tricky. Raising kids is the biggest guessing game, I swear it.

Kristy said...

You are hilarious Mto the e to the r to the i. I love it. I say no do not let her watch cartoons what kind of discipline is that. Give her some tylenol, rock her for a minute, and put her back to bed. Luvs Hope everything is okay.

Sue said...

Hi - I'm Megan Romo's ma and she asked me to post if I had any wisdom on this subject(age 49, raised 6 daughters). My wisdom? I really don't have any - thought I did years ago when the girls were small, but that was fiction.

I did have some thoughts as I read the other comments, which were all good: if she ever naps, make sure you nap too - let the laundry go - you need sleep whenever you can get it. Sleep deprivation is the worst!

Also, the other main thought was that I promise this will pass, and some other cool disturbing problem will manifest itself - and then another - and so on!

Just do your best, even if you think it's not much, it's okay; follow your intuitions, pray for guidance, and know that this will not go on forever. And try not to get mad at your little one. The regrets in later life from letting her watch cartoon at night are small in comparison to losing your temper and saying or doing something you will really regret for years to come.

Hang in there. It really will "come to pass." Go ahead and cry too. We all have.

Jaime Stephens said...

I loved loved loved the teething tablets they worked great for us, even with Savannahs 1st set of molars... I know when Savannah is sick or teething if I give in and do things out of character it becomes habit for her and screws our routine.. Hard to say though because Solees big girl bed would be hard. I am sorry I swear it can't be too much longer!

katie bateman said...

You dont want my advice,Tannon has never sleeps...ever!sorry love ya.